Job title: Biofuels campaigner
Position reports to: Tax analyst
Position location: Washington, D.C.
Friends of the Earth U.S. is looking for a biofuels campaigner to join our team in defending the environment and creating a more healthy and just world. Friends of the Earth is a hard-hitting, progressive, environmental organization that pulls no punches and speaks sometimes uncomfortable truth to power. It’s an approach that has worked for four decades to produce important victories that help protect our planet and its people. We’re part of Friends of the Earth International, a federation of groups working in 76 countries on today’s most urgent environmental and social issues.
To accomplish our mission, Friends of the Earth is working at the nexus of environmental protection, economic policy and social justice to fundamentally transform the way our country and the world values people and the environment. We are focused on reforming economic drivers such as tax and trade policy that are often used to empower corporations and government to harm the environment.
Friends of the Earth is seeking a talented and dedicated individual to lead a biofuels campaign in gearing up for a significant legislative education campaign beginning in 2013. The campaign is focused on stopping the use of corn ethanol and ensuring that any future biofuels are truly sustainable. The Biofuels campaign will be housed within Friends of the Earth’s economic policy team.
Principal duties and responsibilities
· Work with Friends of the Earth’s tax analyst and the director of the economic policy team to develop and implement campaign strategy;
· Liaise with organizations within the environmental community as well other interested stakeholders;
· Lead Friends of the Earth’s biofuels advocacy to members of Congress, the administration and outside opinion leaders;
· Develop and write compelling policy reports, fact sheets, blog posts and other advocacy materials;
· Represent Friends of the Earth on biofuels to the media and the public; and
· Keep abreast of developments on biofuels.
· Four or more years of experience in policy advocacy (not necessarily environmental), organizing or legislative work at the federal or state level.
Skills and knowledge
· Knowledge and understanding of legislative and executive branch process;
· A demonstrated commitment to the environment;
· The ability to balance and successfully complete a wide range of campaign activities including advocacy, convening/organizing, policy development, and research, as well as to coordinate media and development staff; and
· Knowledge of US biofuels and bioenergy policy is preferred but not essential.
This position offers a competitive salary, commensurate with experience. Benefits package includes healthcare, paid vacation, sick leave, and an employee contribution-based retirement plan.
E-mail cover letter, resume, short writing sample and salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading “Biofuels campaigner.” No mail applications or phone calls. Position will remain open until filled.
Friends of the Earth is an equal opportunity employer who encourages applications from women, people of color and other members of underrepresented groups who will contribute to the diversity of its staff.