China Program Coordinator
Beijing or Berkeley, CA
International Rivers protects rivers and defends the rights of communities that depend on them. With offices on four continents, we work to stop destructive dams and promote water and energy solutions for a just and sustainable world.
We are seeking a program coordinator for our China Program. Since 2006, International Rivers’ China Program has increased awareness about the role and impacts of Chinese dam builders and financiers in China and internationally. We advocate for policy reform, strengthen the capacity of Chinese and host country NGOs, carry out research and monitor critical projects. Our program focuses both on the role of Chinese dam builders in Southeast Asia, Africa and Latin America, as well as on dam building within China, particularly the unprecedented increases in hydropower capacity proposed under China’s 12th Five-Year Plan.
The program coordinator plays a key role within the China Program team. The position will require working independently and managing multiple responsibilities. The position covers a wide range of program functions and will require strong strategic thinking skills.
As part of a small program team, the position will need a strong understanding of how environmental NGOs work in China, experience coordinating external English and Chinese language communications, and the ability to conduct high quality research and analysis. Knowledge of environmental issues in China is essential, especially in terms of coordinating International Rivers’ efforts to strengthen the capacity of Chinese environmental NGOs. Expertise in the Nu and Lancang River basins would be an advantage. The position will involve frequent travel within China and other countries. The position will be based in either Beijing or at International Rivers’ headquarters in Berkeley, California.
由于项目团队比较小，这一职 位要求候选人对中国环境民间组织运作有很深的了解，有组织协调对外中英文传播的经验，以及能够进行高质量研究和分析的能力。必须了解中国环境的问题，尤其 对于如何协调国际河流的项目以更好的强化中国环境NGO的能力有较深思考。若对怒江和澜沧江流域有专业了解将是很大的优势。这一职位包含在中国和其他国家 的频繁出差，长期地点为北京或者位于加州伯克利的国际河流总部。
- Communicate with external audiences, in English and Chinese, about our efforts to strengthen the policies and practices of Chinese dam builders and to stop the most destructive projects from going forward.
- Coordinate and oversee our capacity building work to strengthen Chinese NGOs and communities impacted by Chinese dam building.
- Lead our work to protect the Lancang and Nu River Basins, including monitoring dam developments and their impacts, organizing field visits, developing relevant relationships and helping shape the strategic direction of this work.
- Advocate for policy reform and sustainable water and energy solutions, including by monitoring and analyzing relevant trends, preparing policy proposals and extending advice to partner NGOs.
- Carry out high quality research and analysis on China’s dam building at home and abroad.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in Chinese and English languages.
- At least four years of work experience in an environment-related field.
- Knowledge of environmental and social issues in China and China’s global environmental footprint.
- Commitment to environmental integrity, social justice and the vision and mission of International Rivers.
- Strong computer skills, including the ability to maintain web pages and manage social media networks.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience required; graduate degree(s) a plus.
- Authorization to work in China or in the United States.
- Sound knowledge of environmental impact, resettlement, river basin management and/or energy planning policies, as well as the environmental and social impacts of large dams.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing communications strategies, including generating media coverage, writing articles and blogs, and coordinating social media outreach.
Compensation and Application Process:
Salary will be commensurate with experience. In addition, International Rivers offers excellent benefits, including generous vacation and paid sabbatical leave.
Position open until filled. Priority review given to those who apply by 24 May 2013.
To apply, please submit the following in Word or pdf format to firstname.lastname@example.org with “China Program Coordinator – YOUR NAME” in the subject line:
- A letter of interest explaining why you would like to join International Rivers and how your skills are appropriate for this position. Also include when you would be available to start and your salary requirements
- A brief relevant writing sample in English and Chinese
- A resume or CV
International Rivers is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of age, class, disability status, ethnicity, gender, race and sexual orientation. International Rivers offers a stimulating, casual and flexible work environment.