Global Steel Coalition Coordinator
1 year part-time contract with possible extension
The Global Steel Coalition is a global civil society coalition -including more than 20
organizations advocating for climate, environmental and human rights issues in the global
South and global North. The coalition is focused on corporate accountability in the steel sector,
which accounts for 11 percent of global CO2 emissions and 7-9 percent of greenhouse gas
We are currently seeking a motivated and experienced Coalition Coordinator (part-time,
minimum 50% FTE), to work remotely.
This is a new role and exciting opportunity for someone who can manage multiple
stakeholders, excels at getting stuff done and has a passion for challenging environmental
and social damage created by corporates. The Global Steel Coalition Coordinator will enable
the development of the Global Steel Coalition into a thriving, well-organized and wellconnected
coalition of civil society actors that has harmonized activities and is able to secure
change in corporate actions in 3-6 countries.
● Network development: Provide strategic coordination to contribute to the improvement
and growth of the global coalition; Develop and implement processes for coordinating
and supporting communications between the coalition coordinator oversight group,
working group leads and coalition partners to advance towards the coalition goals;
Build and strengthen partnerships with key individuals and organizations working
across the same space; Contribute to the design and development of a crossmovement
strategy which enables the coalition to meet its goals; Promote the
exchange of knowledge and information amongst coalition members.
● Convening: Facilitate regular calls between coalition members, the coalition
coordinator oversight group and working group leads; Facilitate the convening of other
partner and stakeholder conversations as required; Facilitate 1 to 1 meetings with
coalition members, where needed.
● Other support: Help to write and maintain coalition meeting records, strategic planning
documents, concept notes, grant reporting; Coordinate calendar of events, reports, or
coalition activities to keep members informed and engaged; Contribute to fundraising
efforts related to the coalition work.
Required skills and experience
● At least 2-3 years of experience in building and coordinating large, goal-oriented
networks and taking initiatives, ideally in an NGO environment.
● Proven experience in project management.
● Outstanding networking skills, ideally demonstrated in an NGO environment.
● Background in facilitating group discussions with people from different backgrounds.
● Good knowledge of environmental/climate NGOs and corporate/environmental/climate
campaigning and strategy development.
● Proficiency in English.
● Strong writing and communication skills.
● Highly organized.
● Excellent interpersonal and team-working skills.
● High level of motivation and the ability to independently execute work while meeting
● Ability and willingness to work across time zones.
● Can provide their own laptop and internet access.
Desirable skills and experience
● International working experience in emerging markets (especially Brazil, India,
Southeast Asia, Africa) are considered an asset.
● Fluency in Spanish and Portuguese.
● Currently resides in the Global South or has experience working with civil society in
the Global South.
● 1-year contract with possible extension.
● Part-time position (50% FTE equivalent).
● Salary will be benchmarked with other NGO roles of this level and by country.
● Location is flexible.
● Competitive compensation commensurate with experience.
● Some international travel may be required.
● Some early morning and later evening meetings depending on where contractor is
located in order to accommodate coalition members schedules, who are spread across
the globe is required.
We are an open and inclusive, multicultural, multilingual and multi-ethnic coalition. We
explicitly encourage all candidates to submit their application regardless of their age, ancestry,
colour, disability, ethnicity, family or marital status, gender identity or expression, national
origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex or sexual orientation.
To apply, please send your CV in English (without a photo), a cover letter and a selection of
writing samples (articles or materials you have written that demonstrate your writing style to
firstname.lastname@example.org Important: Subject line must be “Application: Global Steel Coalition
Application deadline: 4 August 2023
Applications will be reviewed and interviews will be held on a rolling basis.
Start date: September 2023
Global Steel Coalition Coordinator